Monday, January 5, 2009

Shrimp Fra Diavolo from Buca di Beppo - $19.99

90 Yorktown Road, Lombard, IL - 630.932.7673


Fra Diavolo (Italian for "Brother Devil") is the name given to a spicy sauce for pasta or seafood. Most versions are tomato-based and use chili peppers for spice, but the term is also used for sauces that include no tomato, or that use cayenne or other forms of pepper.
- Excerpt from wikipedia

Although this pasta looks like it's loaded with peppers, it wasn't all that spicy. In fact, I didn't even know it was supposed to be spicy until I looked up the meaning of "fra diavolo" just now.

In spite of that, the dish was really great. The noodles were a bit dry, but not in a bad way, unless you like your noodles sopping with sauce. The sautéed garlic shrimp were cooked well too. The price may seem steep, but the serving size is large enough to feed two even though we only ordered a small. All in all, I would happily order this dish again, if not for the chance to discover other great dishes on their menu.

3 comments:

Kinobe said...

Happy New Year.

I've always had a very bad experience with sauteed shrimp and chili flakes. There's always this bad chemical aftertaste (tastes a little like bleach), after you chew into its overly crunchy texture. At least, that's my memory of it. Pity too cause seafood's my favourite. This pasta looks really cheesy, tho and it's making me wanna give sauteed shrimp a second chance.

Kinobe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eekbot said...

Happy New Year right back atcha.

I always like to give a dish a 2nd chance. If the same dish sucks more than once at the same restaurant and then it sucks again at two other restaurants, THEN I'm pretty much done with the dish for good.

But even then, I would make an exception if someone whose taste I trust specifically recommends that dish somewhere else.