Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Beef With Chinese Broccoli Over Rice Noodles from Tong's Polynesian Village - $8.99

1239 East Ogden Avenue, Naperville, IL - 630.357.7120


Here's a dish I loved so much, that I still remembered its name even after it mysteriously disappeared from their menu. The owner couldn't locate the item on the menu either, but knew exactly what I was referring to, so he still had it made for me and charged me the same price as a similar item. Very nice people. It's a shame to see that their restaurant shrank since my previous visit about three years ago.

Anyway, the dish name is pretty self-explanatory. Chinese broccoli is sometimes referred to as kai-lan or Chinese kale too. These rice noodles are fluffier and stickier than the ones you might receive from a Thai restaurant, but I love them just as much, if not more. The sauce is just a typical brown sauce you get in a Chinese dish - probably oyster sauce - but when you put that with other three ingredients, it's magic.

One more thing to note - you can't tell from the picture, but the serving size is pretty enormous. It's tough for me to finish the entire thing in a single sitting, which if you've seen me eat, you know means a lot.

1 comment:

Kinobe said...

Mmmm that looks good I'd order that. I'm sure there's a cantonese name for that, probably something along the lines of "Ngau Yook Hor Fun" (rice noodles with beef). I'm making this up of course.