Sunday, January 11, 2009

Enchiladas con Mole from Las Palmas - $11.50

1150 East Ogden Avenue, Naperville, IL - (630) 717-9030


The menu lists this dish as "a rolled corn tortilla stuffed with Seasoned Ground Beef, Marinated Chicken or Cheese, topped with our special mole sauce & melted cheese, garnished with lettuce & tomato." In my case, I paid the extra $1 to substitute skirt steak (so the cost was actually $12.50).

This was my first time trying mole sauce and I was quickly able to detect a subtle chocolatey flavor and as it turns out, mole sauce is typically made with Mexican chocolate as one of its ingredients. Anyway, this blended well with the tender steak and the refried beans. The vegetables felt a little out of place, but that could be because I'm more of a carnivore. Yummy Mexican dish.

2 comments:

Kinobe said...

That looks like barf! Latin American food is something I'm not very familiar with, so I like this entry. And I disagree, I'm an omnivore (rightfully so), I believe there's always a right vegetable serving for all them meat dishes out there.

eekbot said...

those refried beans do look pretty nasty. but you're going to have to get used to that if you want Mexican food since those beans run pretty standard in their dishes.

also, it's not that i don't enjoy vegetables here and there, but they still feel out of place in this dish. i think it's b/c my strategy with Mexican food is to mix everything together, but that doesn't work with the veggies. you have to mix everything ELSE and then stab a few veggies with each bite from your potpurri swirl.