Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chicago Hot Dog from Portillo's - $2.25

950 East Ogden Avenue, Naperville, IL - (630)961-1151


Here's a genuine Chicago hotdog. It's a Vienna Beef "all beef" hot dog, with a dill pickle spear, chopped onions, tomato slices or wedges, yellow mustard, sweet relish, sport peppers, and celery salt, all on a poppy seed bun.

There are two things to notice about that list. Firstable, there's no ketchup. Supposedly, it's taboo to put ketchup on a Chicago dog, so don't do it unless you want to be scrutinized as an outsider. Secondly, I put "all-beef" in quotes because my friend told me that Vienna Beef was recently sued for not being all-beef. Instead, they use sheep casings on their dogs. That's close enough for me, but some people out there are kosher fanatics.

The important thing is, it's a damn good hot dog. It's probably my favorite style hot dog and I've tried to be unbiased about it too.

1 comment:

Kinobe said...

It doesn't look that good to me but looks can be deceiving. Maybe it's just the tomato slice and pickles throwing it off for me.