Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwich from Balan's Produce - $3.50

851 Old Baltimore Pike, Newark, DE - (302)292-2606


I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Filipino dish, but it came from a Filipino grocery store. Whatever the case, good food is good food.

The picture didn't turn out so great, but the pulled pork sandwich tastes much better than it looks. The meat is moist and tender and saturated with a great smokey flavor. Then the bun is soft and chewy, similar to the buns you get for Italian beefs in Chicago. MmmMMm.

The size of the sandwich is fairly small though, but the price is fair for what you get. It's probably about four or five inches long and chockful of pork. I think even my sister can pack away about two of them without too much trouble. As for me, well, that's a different story...

Side Note: My friend ordered the Smoked Beef Brisket Sandwich ($4.25, no picture available) and said the meat was sort of tough. Just wanted to throw that out there because I doubt I'll ever order it when I have to pulled pork to pick instead. Ooooh... alliteration.

4 comments:

Upp Dinero said...

Huh, interesting. The pulled pork sandwiches I have had are all soaking in bbq sauce, which gives it a sweet flavor. Did this one have the meat floating in bbq sauce, or was it just the pork by itself? I wonder if its a traditional filipino thing?

eekbot said...

i wouldn't say drenched, but there was definitely some BBQ sauce on there.

i also ordered some baby back ribs (which i'll post tomorrow) and i saw the guy drizzling BBQ sauce all over that one. THAT was drenched.

my said...

Firstable, learn2typing the english, your first sentence is F-ed. Also, learn2autofocus with your camera, if you're going to move close to the onject then turn on the macro mode (the flower symbol).

eekbot said...

re: bad english - i'm really tired. haven't slept much in the last three days and don't plan to sleep much until after Thursday so expect more mistakes.

anyway, thanks for the pointer about the camera mode. i'll try that for next time.