Monday, June 23, 2008

Buffet @ Maharaja - $10.99

1450 Capitol Trail, Newark, DE - (302)369-1202


Since this was a buffet, I'm not quite sure of everything I grabbed. The big hunk of bread in the center is naan, the red meat in the upper right is tandoori chicken, and the orange slop up front is my personal favorite, chicken tika masala. Someone else is going to have to help me with the names for the donut-looking thing and the white frisbee. I didn't bother to learn their names because I wasn't impressed by them. One other notable dish I attacked repeatedly was the goat curry, but I don't have a picture for that.

Though my Indian food experiences are limited, I've developed a very sophisticated rule of thumb to help me decide what to try: white (other than the naan) = sour, icky stuff; brown/orange = awesome. I only took one picture, because most of what I grabbed looked like some variation of the chicken tika masala, but in a different shade of brown or orange.

The buffet is $10.99 on weekends and $7.99 on weekdays. Individual Dishes run about $12 apiece so the buffet is a great way to test multiple dishes before you commit to any single item.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanna try the goat curry!
I love goat meat!
was the naan with curry? sauce? spicy? looks very good! I've never tried real Indian food =P

my said...

I don't know how to spell it... but the donut is called "vade" (vah-day). The white thingy is... again I don't know how to spell it.. "idli" (ee-dlee).

eekbot said...

the naan comes by itself, but there are a lot of other soupy dishes that you can dip them in. i dipped mine in anything orange.

but none of the dishes were spicy - probably because americans can't handle spice.

and thanks for the ID's. you're right - it's vada & idli (along with other acceptable spellings) according to wiki.

Upp Dinero said...

eekbot, start asking these indian restaurants if they have some spice on the side. Most places will oblige and give you some ground up chili pepper which adds a lot to the flavor.