Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thai Foon, Darling Harbour - $?

Shop 329-330 Level 2, Harbourside Shopping Centre, Darling Drive, Darling Harbour, Sydney NSW 2000

This was dinner with workmates nearly a month ago in Sydney. One of them was a vegetarian so a lot of these dishes were vegetarian friendly (not specifically vegetarian but they didn't contain ingredients that would've harmed my friend's consciousness, at the cost of my meat loving appetite). We came here 3 times in a week because we were too indecisive and lazy to look elsewhere that catered for tree hugging vegetarian hippies. Also, I don't think most of what we ordered were Thai dishes.

Vegetarian tempura
Vegetable Tempura
Vegetable tempura. This technically isn't a thai dish, of course. It wasn't too bad, altho I was hoping for brown or button mushrooms to be in the mix. It also isn't the regular tempura dough, so I guess that gave it that little bit of difference from being a complete ripoff.


Tofu and vegetables in Satay sauce
Tofu in Satay Sauce
I'm not sure if this is Thai too. Grilled tofu maybe, and the sauce is actually a peanut-ish cream-ish sauce from the Malaysian dish Satay (barbequed meat sticks, like kebab). If it is, do correct me. But I don't like tofu so I only ate the vegetables.


Grilled Tofu
Grilled Tofu
Grilled Tofu with some kinda sauce, I don't remember this very well, to be honest I didn't touch this dish, like I said I'm not a big fan of tofu. I can only tell you that it looks spicy, but I suppose you can see that for yourself.


Thai Steamed Fish
Steamed Fish
We're now starting to move out of hippie territory, as there are some vegetarians who eat fish. This wasn't too bad, pretty common, reminds me a lot of chinese steamed fish with assam. In fact come to think of it there are probably a lot of dishes from South East Asia that's available from more than 1 country, with slight tweaks to separate one from the other.


Beef Curry
Beef Curry
Ahh meat! This was not bad, but I'm not sure if it was all the vegetables that made this dish extra good. The curry was not too spicy and very flavourful, which is how I like my curry. Again, I can't tell if this is Thai, not to my knowledge, but I can't confirm.


Mixed Grill
Mixed Grill
And finally, the best dish of the night, the mixed grill of meat and seafood. I think this dish wouldn't stand out so well if all the other dishes weren't made of leaf. I mean don't get me wrong, I love my greens as much as the next person, but when you have 5 mediocre vegetable dishes and a plate of grilled meat? Not a tough decision.

Overall, it wasn't a very memorable meal but we were starving, and it's not like we hate vegetables or anything, so that's probably why we went back there 3 times and didn't really complain much. Either we weren't looking hard enough, or it's just plain hard to find vegetarian food in Sydney.

Now these shots are pretty crappy as the colour sucks (and I've gimp-ed most of them to fix the colour as best I can) and some of them are out of focus but it was the best I could do in the poor lighting conditions, we sat outside where there were distant spot lights and neon signs as a light source. Oh well.

8 comments:

eekbot said...

very nice post. the thai food i get here is crap compared to the pseudo-thai food you got in australia.

Kinobe said...

Perhaps you didn't see where I mentioned it wasn't real Thai, like at every paragraph of the post... but thanks. If I can I'll go have some Thai in Malaysia, which is a lot closer to the real deal.

eekbot said...

no, i saw that and that's how i came up with pseudo-thai.

anyway, do you think it's possible that you NOT edit your pictures next time? i would like to see undoctored photos of the food to get a better judge of what i would be getting... not that i'd be going to australia any time soon, but so it's more realistic when i eat the food vicariously.

and quit making excuses for your mediocre photography skills, you n00b.

Kinobe said...

I doctored it to reflect what the dish REALLY looked like (hence only colour and white balancing), not add diamonds to the rough, so to speak. And up yours, point-and-shoot out-of-focus flash-photographer.

Kinobe said...

And why the hell wouldn't you go to Australia anytime soon? It's only at the other end of the globe. I'll meet you there if you're going.

eekbot said...

oh yea? at least i'm not a tree-hugging, drum-circle-sitting, flip-flop-wearing, vegetarian hippie!

Kinobe said...

My hippie workmate is offended and will no longer answer anymore CCIE questions you have for him.

Randy said...

Looking at the Tofu in Satay Sauce, thats certainly Malaysian Satay gravy :) And I think if theres one other country you can sample good Thai food without going to Thailand, it would be Malaysia :) I'd know.