Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Birthday Dinner from Domaine Hudson

1314 North Washington Street, Wilmington, DE - (302)655-WINE


Just to prove that I don't eat garbage ALL the time, here's a few pictures from my birthday dinner yesterday.

Three Cheese Platter - $15


I never understood the hype behind "fine cheese" - at least, not until I came here. The cheese hidden behind the spoon (unfortunately) is a Le Chevrot (France / Goat's milk / Soft & Mild type). The block to the right of that is Gouda (surprisingly pronounced "how-da"), 2 year Boerenkaase (Holland / Cow's Milk / Hard type), and the cheese in front of that is a Fromage d'Affinios (France / Cow's Milk / Soft type). The cheeses were served with flat bread crackers, sliced baguette, blackberry compote, and orange & thyme marinated kalamata olives. For a more detailed description of each cheese, look at the snapshot of the menu I included. This much, I will say, however: I liked the Fromage d'Affinios the best, then the Le Chevrot, and finally the Gouda, 2 year Boernkaase, but they are all outstanding cheeses that completely changed my perspective on "fine cheeses."



Spring Asparagus & Wild Mushroom Salad - $11


This salad came with brioche, shaved black truffle cheese, pistachio and brown butter vinaigrette. I love asparagus, but everything else on the plate was so tasty, I tried to wipe it clean. If I weren't out in public, I would've lapped up that plated like a dog.



Baked Brie & Arugula Salad - $12


Aside from coming with the obvious baked brie and arugula, this salad also included walnuts, pears, and a roasted shallot vinaigrette. You would think that after just finishing a three cheese platter that the brie would be overkill, but that wasn't the case at all. I wanted to steal more off my sister's plate, but I held back to save room for my entrée.



Pan Seared Australian Lamb Rack - $29


The pan seared Australian lamb rack came with goat cheese frissee, fingerling potatoes, and a warm herb-onion vinaigrette. The lamb was so tender it made my heart melt. I was a little jealous that I didn't order this myself, but then I tasted my own dish...



Crispy Free-Range Duck Breast - $21


Finally, the meal I most looked forward to, the crispy free-range duck breast, was served with sundried tomatoes, roasted garlic polenta (cornmeal) with a dried cherry balsamic reduction and herb sautéed asparagus. The duck was cooked to perfection - crispy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. The sauce was sweet with a slight bit of tang, and would be fantastic with just about anything, but I didn't use very much since I didn't want to taint the perfection. I'm drooling just thinking about it...



I've eaten at Domaine Hudson before, and every time, it's a wonderful experience. The service is outstanding, the wine list is plentiful, and the price is reasonable considering the quality of the food you get. The menu changes frequently so you can expect to try new dishes on your next trip. The servers appear knowledgeable about the wines so they can help you select the best wine to complement your dish. All in all, I recommend this place to anyone looking for fine cuisine at reasonable prices.

4 comments:

Kinobe said...

I think the Australian lamb looks better.... but then again I'm not the biggest fan of duck so yeah. Overall a nice change from the regular garbage you eat. Go fine dine more.

Kinobe said...

Oh and happy birthday.

Unknown said...

WOW sugoi...XD
I'm getting HUNGRY!!!
you had a great bithday!

Randy said...

happy b'lated b'day pal ;)