Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Nasi Lemak from Pinang Asian Cuisine - $7.00

218 Louviers Drive, Newark, DE - 302.368.2298


I posted the environmentally friendly version of this dish here. If I'm not mistaken, this is basically the staple dish of Malaysia. Just as the Thai have their Pad Thai or how the Americans have their burgers, the Malaysians have their Nasi Lemak.

My favorite portion of this dish, believe it or not, is the anchovies (upper left corner). They're coated with some sweet syrupy sauce that pretty much hides the anchovy stench with which you might be familiar.

I don't know what to say about the vegetable concoction on the left, except that it compliments the dish favorably. And I'm a die hard fan of both beef (upper-right) and eggs, so those work for me. That brings me to my least favorite part - the cucumbers. They really feel out of place in this dish. But if you think about it, this dish is a strange assortment anyway.

All in all, it's something I would order again, especially if I was getting them at these prices.

3 comments:

Kinobe said...

OOOooo that's much truer to form than the green fried rice you had. What's missing is the "fat" rice that gives this its name. It should be rice cooked with coconut milk.

The cucumber has to be there! See over here they have the option to really spice up the sambal and/or rendang and/or curry, so the cucumber "cools" you down. By the way you're missing sambal, that's part of the dish too even if you have all the others.

The stuff on the left is called "Achar". It's indian pickled vegetables, it's definitely not something you serve with nasi lemak. I guess they had too much in stock and just had to get rid of it somehow? /shrug

Overall quite a pleasing looking dish considering.

eekbot said...

i do recall the mention of coconut in regards to the rice. can you tell just by looking that this isn't coconut rice?

my said...

Yes but only a guess... it's too white and gooey (like normal rice)... coconut milk rice is very well "rounded" and each grain moves individually... if you get what i mean.. they don't clump up easily.