Sunday, February 8, 2009

Crunchy Breaded Pork Lauriat from Chow King- $2

All over Philippines.

Remember when I said this was going to be the last Philippine post? I lied. I decided bad Chinese food is worth posting about too. Philippines has a chain (they like chains) of fast food restaurants serving Chinese food.

Take a moment to let that sink in. I think this is weird as fudge, because to me, fast food is almost a food category in itself… So Chinese fast food sounds as weird as “car bike”. But since I have actually seen half-car half-bike vehicles before, I guess Chinese fast food can exist in this dimension without destroying the space-time continuum.

Observe, the Lauriat set… I don’t know what Lauriat means… but I take it as “set meal” or “meal”. Or “set”. Disgusting.I ordered the Crunchy Breaded Pork Lauriat w/ New Ube Sioplet, other options include the Crispy Fish Fillet Lauriat w/ New Monggo Sioplet. All kindsa funny language there. 

Firstly, Sioplet is all wrong. I think they are trying to say “mini” pau, pau being Chinese for bun, in Chinese it'’s called “Siu Pau”. They got that right (spelt Siopao in the menu). But this is the mini version, so I guess the are trying to say “Pau-let”… however, they went with “Sioplet”… which doesn’t make ANY sense as all. They The Other Dishcut “Siopao” in between the p and the a! Like pork cuts… and the mini version, they call porkculets…. I mean you put the “let” at a meaningful position, not stab it in the middle of a word.

Anyways. Ube, I’m guessing is Tagalog for taro, cos the bun is purple. On the plate I have crispy breaded pork, prawn crackers, chow mein, the Sioplet®, and rice.

This sucked. I wouldn’t order this ever again. I would probably give Chow King a miss entirely too.

For your viewing pleasure, I’ve put a pic of what my friend ordered too. I think it’s the Spare Ribs with rice. Don’t ask me how it tastes like, but from the Lauriat I had…. I’m inclined to think that it sucked too.

PS: At least it was cheap.

2 comments:

eekbot said...

my, my, my... quite the rant you put in there over grammar. at least they're not saying "alls i know."

and for $2, i'll happily shovel crappy food in me - hence my frequent trips to taco bell and mcdonald's.

Kinobe said...

Hey, if they could I'm sure they would include "Alls I know" in the damn menu somewhere. Probably about how the the Soiplet® is the best thing to have happened to their Lauriat® menu.

Hah, well, $2 can get you much more than that in Malaysia, so there.