Friday, February 20, 2009

Balut from the corner of a dark street at Lapu-Lapu, Mactan Island - $0.25

All over Philippines.

My final Philippines post. Before going there I didn’t know what to expect of the country, its people, and the food they ate. But I knew about this one, and it was my mission to try this before leaving. Ironic that I should only find someone selling this on my very last night in Philippines. I was excited as hell, and wanted to eat it the way it’s meant to be eaten; by the side of the road where they sell it off a box behind a bicycle. But for the sake of taking better-lit pictures, I bought 2 to bring back to the hotel where the toilets are well lit and the toilet bowl is well within reach in case it really is as bad as people make it sound.

I’m no expert but as far as I know, balut is boiled (or steamed?) duck eggs at its mid-growth foetal stage. I was Birdy no fly.....told it’s 2 months after they’ve been laid. And I don’t know how to make that not sound dirty.

It’s available all over Philippines and as far as I know they’re the only culture that eats this.

They mark the egg with an X where you are supposed to open it. I believe that is where the “clearing” is, as the other side is where the egg white and duck foetus is clinging to. You want to crack it open at the opening so you can drink the fluids that are in there, foetal juice if you will.

Being a smartass I decided to open the other end (the top of the egg).. and was met with egg white. So I peeled the whole thing vertically and there you have a side-view of what’s inside the egg.

The egg white is nearly inedible as it is really tough. It also has this veiny overlapping feature that… well I think they’re really veins. And along the entire egg is a black strand swirling around, thicker and darker than the other veins. That, I believe, should be the umbilical cord.

Although the overall structure of the bird is visible; beak, eye slit, feathers and all, but on contact the bird is actually very soft, almost jelly like. X marks the spot...... to placenta fluids.I suppose the bones aren’t fully formed yet, hence why I keep calling it a foetus instead of a baby bird.

Now I was REALLY excited when I bought these eggs, as I’ve been meaning to try this for a very long time now. However, after the slow process of unshelling the first egg, I lost my appetite, much to my surprise. I LOVE eggs, of any kind and any method or style of preparation, even ones that are black and translucent (look forward to this post in the future), so this should be no different. Yet somehow, no. Not this time. My friend pointed out that it could be due to the fact that i was standing over a toilet bowl. Maybe… maybe.

Anyhoo, after some slight hesitation and deep breaths I ate it. It just tastes like stale eggs, with a slight poultry taste to it. I know I’m not being overly helpful with the description here but YOU try eating a foetus and be descriptive about its taste. It’s eaten with salt and chili vinegar.. I tried it with and without and can’t decide whether there is any improvement with the extras or not. They don’t smell as bad as people make it sound, and they don’t taste as bad as people make it to be. It doesn’t taste GOOD, no siree, but it doesn’t taste bad. But it sure was an experience and I’m glad I can check this one off my list now.

8 comments:

eekbot said...

that's one wicked cool post. although, when you're going to eat something potentially unsanitary like a duck fetus, shouldn't you buy it from a trusted source instead of some random guy riding a bicycle? then again... it WAS only 25 cents...

Kinobe said...

Random guy riding a bicycle IS the trusted source of choice in the Philippines!

That or roadside man with a bamboo basket sitting on the floor.

eekbot said...

what? the guy with the trenchcoat and shifty eyes was on vacation?

Kinobe said...

He sold his trencoat for a bicycle.

eekbot said...

btw, does this mean you ate the ENTIRE fetus (that's how we spell fetus here)? for some reason i thought you only had the juice of it.

Kinobe said...

Yes I ate everything, you are supposed to.

Upp Dinero said...

AWESOME KINOBE! Man I really want to visit you and make you take me around eating all this stuff.

Kinobe said...

Haha you're welcome to, except this was from my trip to Philippines, so no balut here in Malaysia. The rest is available tho. :)