Friday, July 10, 2009

Seafood Rotini from Crazy Cajun's Boiling Pot - $10.95

125 Inverness Plaza, Birmingham, AL - (205) 408-0630


"Fresh Louisiana crawfish tails, Andouille sausage, shrimp, crab meat, simmered in Cajun cream sauce. Served over spiral rotini pasta."

I did my usual and asked the waitress what her favorite dish was and she pointed me to the seafood rotini as the most popular menu item so I went with that.

When the dish arrived, my eye caught glimpse of those white chunks and immediately thought, "Chicken? That's odd for a dish called seafood rotini." But then I remembered that scallops are white like that too.

Anyway, my sister asked to try a little of my dish, so I scooped up some pasta and then tried to cut a piece of scallop for her, but my fork sliced right through the scallop... like a hot knife through butter. As it turns out, that's what it was! Those massive white chunks are gobs of BUTTER. Geeeeeeeeeeeeezzz. Those Cajuns really know how to fatten up their food.

In spite of that, the dish was rather yummy and still maintained a strong spiciness. Sure, I felt guilty that I just downed a bazillion calories of fat, but the flavor just might be worth it.

I saw reviews of this restaurant complaining about the service, and I can see what they mean - there was only one server for the entire lunch-rush filled restaurant, but fortunately for us, she was phenomenal at keeping up. All in all, it was a pleasant experience.

3 comments:

Kinobe said...

No kiddin, look at how much garlic butter was lathered on to the bread too.

This looks like it could clog your arteries on your way out of the restaurant. And since I'm sick now (with a sickness I shouldn't mention on a food blog)... I'd go with "hell no" with this dish and its oiliness.

And what's up with asking the waiters/tressses what their fave dish is... do you think they get to eat anything on the menu for free? I never worked as one before so I'm almost genuinely asking.

eekbot said...

most certainly, the server gets at LEAST a discount. but even if they didn't, they should be the most familiar with the menu. if it were me, and i saw customers all ordering the same dish, then i'd try the popular dish to find out what the craze was about. that's my reasoning anyway.

my said...

but that's cos you're a glutonous pig. i always thought if i worked at .. say... KFC... I'd never touch fried chicken for the rest of my life.