Saturday, July 25, 2009

8 Ounce Wagyu Kobe Foie Gras Burger from Gallagher's - $24.95

1133 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ - (609)340-6555


"Topped with porcini mushrooms and fresh Hudson Vally foie gras."

Look at that price! Wow. So why did I buy a ridiculously priced burger in the first place? 1) It was my vacation and 2) I wanted to try foie gras for the first time.

Foie gras means "fat liver" in French. They force feed a baby goose or duck in order to fatten the liver and make it more supple. Therefore, the serving of this food is frowned upon by many, although highly desired at the same time.

Anyway, knowing that ahead of time, I might have been expecting more out of foie gras. And after tasting it for myself, I was highly disappointed. I didn't HATE the flavor, but I wasn't impressed by it either. I've never eaten liver before, but my friend said it tasted like normal liver but just a bit softer. And then I discovered this little article stating that people think it tastes the same if not worse than dog food. Greeeeat. Glad I spent $25 on it.

The rest of the burger wasn't all that bad. The kobe beef was very tender and practically broke apart the moment I gripped the burger and the fries were what you'd expect of fries.

3 comments:

Kinobe said...

Are you sure you got the name of the burger right... Funny that it's called Wagyu Kobe beef. Usually they only just mention Kobe as that's the best type of Wagyu...... otherwise they call it Wagyu meat, still marbled but not as awesome as Kobe. and I think a burger is a gross mistreatment of Kobe beef... Have it straight up as grilled steak with as little seasoning as possible. The beef has enough flavour in itself to make you want to cry in joyous appreciation.

Never tried foie gras (i think) but i've had my share of liver.. along with all other innards... asian thing you know. And I'd imagine people compare it with dog food because, as a matter of fact, quite a lot of dog food includes liver, so duhh... but to say liver is dog food and thus automatically implying that it's bad is quite a stupid statement.

I associate it with shallow white trash thinking, akin to "Wait you actually eat chicken WITH the bone?"

You may not be able to stand it, but it doesn't make it bad or uncivilized or uncultured.

Oh and I wasn't talking about you, since you're a FOB and all.. I was just ranting.

eekbot said...

did you read the link? it says there was a blind taste test and people said the dog food tasted better than the foie gras patay so it wasn't just an implication, it was a general consensus.

and yes, i made sure to copy the exact wording of the menu item. that's an interesting tidbit about the wagyu kobe beef that you mentioned though. and i think i can only PARTLY agree with you about the "waste of kobe on a burger." i mean, i definitely won't have a filet mignon cut of wagyu kobe in a burger. anyone who does deserves to be shot. but they probably ground up all the crappier parts of the cow and turned that into a burger and i'm all for that.

Kinobe said...

no i didn't read the link. i'm that rude.

DID they grind the beef? If they did you need to get back there and set fire to that place. I haven't had Kobe in a long time but if I remember it correctly, I could probably lift my steak up and bite off it like a sandwich.. and it'd probablyyyy come off easy... marbled, so a lotta fat, so breaks off easy... i think.