Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Spare Ribs from Oxford Farmer's Market - $3.99

193 Limestone Road, Oxford, PA - (717)283-5183


There's a lot of things I don't understand about the Amish. Like, how come they have a phone number? How come they accept credit cards and have their shop air-conditioned and lit up with electricity? Aren't all these things against their beliefs?

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that they have a reputation for good barbeque. And the BEST part is that it's all pretty cheap! The spare rib itself is $3.99 but you can get the combo for $6.75. The combo includes BBQ potatoes (picture below), coleslaw, a small bag of chips, a roll the size of my fist, and a drink.

Personally, I like my BBQ with more tang, but this was still a good find. The meat's texture was so tender that it fell right off the bone with a little bit of fork jabbing.

They also sell deserts for very cheap (the CD-sized pies were only $1), furniture, produce, ice cream, and soft pretzels (these were fantastic!), but unfortunately, I didn't get pictures of them.

My biggest complaints about the place are that 1) it's a bit hard to find since you have to drive through very rural areas and 2) there's nowhere to sit to eat your food, but both of these complaints have nothing to do with the quality of the food. All in all, I was happy to try Amish barbeque, but the location is too far away (40 min drive for me) to make it worth the effort to get their food again.

1 comment:

Kinobe said...

So.... the Amish hold a food market.. when, every weekend? And some of them serve BBQ. From your prices, that's quite cheap. I want some. That sounds like an awesome idea. I'm always up for some BBQ and the thought that there's one always available just rocks. It's especially nice when it's cooked right there like a real BBQ (none of that restaurant grill stuff). You should make the 45 min drive more.