Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Steak & Kidney Pie from Square Pie - £4.29 / $6.30

105c Commercial Street, London, UK E1 6BG


http://www.squarepie.com/index

What the hell were the Brits thinking when they made this? "Hmm... let's take something awesome and then add kidney to it and laugh at them when they cringe as they reach the kidney portion of it." That has to be it.

I like to believe I can stomach disgusting foods, but that awful kidney flavor really disagrees with me. It's like anchovies in that no matter what else you add to the dish, you can't disguise its flavor. It's there to haunt you.

Anyway, the rest of the pie was actually really good. The crust is flakey like a crispy buttery croissant and the gravy added some good flavor. There were also mushrooms tucked away in there to give a different texture too.

I'd go back to this place, but next time stick with a less adventurous dish.

1 comment:

Kinobe said...

You're just unadventurous. I love kidney, its matted taste, almost iron like... good stuff.

The real problem I have with steak n kidney pie is usually because it's a stew the "steak" bit is overcooked.

Maybe someone should think of putting better more tender beef in. Maybe it's been done and I haven't tried it.