Sunday, April 18, 2010

Duck with Sherry & Ginger Sauce from Sally Lunn's - £9.98

4 N Parade Passage, Bath BA1 1NX - 01225 461634


www.sallylunns.co.uk

This is supposed to be one of the "must-see" places to go if you're in Bath, but it's more for its history (the restaurant is housed in the oldest building in all of Bath) than for its food. They offer tours of the building, but thanks to shotty railroad engineering, we arrived too late for that.

The meals here are served in the traditional "Trencher-style" which from what I understand is a fancy way of saying "on top of bread." Sally Lunn's claim to fame is its renowned "Lunn bun" which to me, was nothing more than light and crispy Texas toast, aka garlic bread. Although, I can imagine that if I had eaten this back in Medieval times, it would have been euphoric.

The duck itself was moderately sweet and was well-prepared, meaning that it wasn't too rare/burned. More than anything, I was relieved that it had taste at all after trying their vegetables that completely lacked flavor.

For the price I paid (~$16 USD), I would've like more quantity, especially considering that the birds I saw in the UK all looked like they were on steroids.

Also, the server seemed attentive, but he accidentally charged us with a bottle of wine instead of just a glass. Might want to be weary of that if you're ever there.

3 comments:

Kinobe said...

OK Those vegetables I could've probably made in my sleep. The duck looks pretty bland, like cafeteria food, so good to hear it has flavour.

I'm ignoring prices for all your UK posts cos the exchange rate from Ringgit to Pound is x5. So to me that dish was 50 bucks.

Awww shit now look what you made me do.

eekbot said...

if you read the post, this time i actually put it in USD, so screw you durian face.

Kinobe said...

Yeah but my conversion still applies, kimchi.