Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Duck Everything from Shilin Night Market – $~0.60/stick

Taipei, Taiwan

Sweet Potato WedgesMore from the night market. This will be a short one. On the way out I had some deep fried sweet potato wedges.  It was a bit dry for my taste, which is surprising considering she dunked it in hot oil for well over 2 minutes to heat it up…

We walked farther down the street and found this guy selling all things duck. Another thing I noticed about Taiwan, they love their duck there.duck me More than they do chicken. In fact most of the time the only chicken you find are the deep fried kind.

So when I say all things duck I mean it. Here you see an overview of the cart with your choices. Oh and another thing I noticed about Taiwan, they sell a LOT of their food on sticks/skewers. A lot. Tongue actionTaiwan must go thru forests worth of bamboo each year. Anyways, on the cart you have, from top-down left-right order, duck head & neck, duck neck, duck head, duck blood in squares of glutinous rice, tofu, duck feet. Next row: I dunno, duck blood in coagulated form, duck drumstick and gizzard<3, duck wing, duck tongue (pic), dunno what the black stuff is, then tofu. Final row: duck meat ball?, quail eggs, duck intestines I think, more balls of some sort, duck heart (pic), duck butt(pic) and finally 2 varieties of duck skin.

3rd thing about Taiwan – everrryythinggg is deep fried. So naturally anything you pick off this cart Bootilicious... literally.will most probably be dipped into  a pot of boiling oil. If not then it’ll be grilled. Last pic is Uncle taking out some duck tongue that he just deep fried for us. Duck tongue was amazing. It looked amazing. Like something out of Aliens. There isn’t much to eat as there isn’t much meat, but it was just fun Uncleto chew on it. There were boney bits that were quite hard to chew thru, it almost felt like the plasticky backbone you find in squid, but it’s not.

Actually all we had was the duck tongue. I’m not much of an ass person, you could say I don’t have the heart for it, so I just settled for some tongue action… geddit geddit? 3 weeks later we went back to look for Uncle but his stall was closed. Pity.

3 comments:

eekbot said...

okay, first, remind me to slap you for your lame puns. oh right, you don't know what a pun is. go look it up.

2ndly, am i imagining things, or can you actually make an anus out on that duck butt?

but damn, i'm jealous. i LOOVE duck and it usually goes for $15ish USD here so for that cost, you'd have to carry me away on a wheel barrow.

Kinobe said...

My puns were awesome that's just your jealousy talking. You're just jealous I didn't tap that ass. Ya das rite, I did it again!

Erm.. I... don't really see any anuses in my pic, but yes you generally can make out the anus from chicken/duck butt.

Yeah it was kinda nice to have that kinda variety. Seeing as to how I'm really hungry now, I'd probably have had a skewer of everything there. and then some.

Kinobe said...

Oh right and I needed to explain "Uncle"... in most asian countries that speak english...... wait actually I only can vouch for Malaysia and Singapore. Anyways we refer to the elderly as Aunty and Uncle. So you see an old lady crossing the road, you go "Aunty can I help you?" or you visit a friend and meet his/her dad, you go "Hi Uncle."

It's almost a mark of respect, cos if you go to a friend's place and just say "Hi" to their parents, some might find that rude. But it's a fine line you cross there, imagine if you were 40 and you went to your 20 year old friend's place and meet his parents... and his parents are just maybe 8 years older than you... Still say "hi auntie and uncle"?

Also, get it wrong, and you are in for hell.. like say "Hi Aunty" to your friend's sister, for example.

However the foreigner practice of "Hi Mr. & Mrs Kim" are fine and I'd even say it's a damn good Get Out Of Jail free card, if you're actually a foreigner.